PTSA Principal’s Report -1/28/21
What’s happening at RLMS?
● RLMS is still operating in a hybrid model. A reminder that Wednesdays are an early dismissal unless it is a four day week.
● Cohort schedule February. Please note that both the district and RLMS web pages have pop ups with cohort calendars if you are ever in question.
● Wednesday Adjusted Schedule. Please note that student support and extra help is available from 1-3pm. Please encourage your child to go for extra help if needed.
The 6th grade counselor and dean spent all last week doing Ice Breaker Activities. We also will be doing a survey during HR today and Friday to get their feedback and suggestions for next month. Depending on the survey results, we are planning to do once activity/month to encourage more community building and connectivity.
8th-9th High School Transition:
○ Our “High School Planning” video was rolled this week to all 8th Grade students. The video will also be posted on Mrs. Cummings & Mrs. Renna’s Google Classrooms.
○ Mrs. Shaughnessy will all also send out a blast to 8th Grade parents/guardians with the link to video on Friday.
○ All students should have received their Program of Studies Booklets this week from their homeroom teachers, if not please reach out to your 8th grade counselor to receive one.
○ Fairfield Ludlowe Headmaster Mr. Hatzis sent out information through Infinite Campus regarding the 8th Grade Student/Parent/Guardian Virtual event taking place on 2/3/21. This evening will provide crucial information that will support your child’s decision-making through the 8th-9th grade articulation process. We also encourage all students and parents to attend this evening even if your child is planning to attend a private school.
○ After the Fairfield Ludlowe Virtual event, please take a moment to review the FLHS Program of Studies Booklet and review practice worksheet your child received with their booklet. We encourage all students and families to discuss elective choices and course load information together.
○ Review of recommended courses and elective course selections are estimated to place in school on Thursday 2/18 & Friday 2/19. Our 8th grade counselors along with virtual support from Fairfield Ludlowe High School Counselors will guide our students through the Infinite Campus process. Parents/Guardians will have an opportunity to review their child’s course selections late February-early March.
○ We encourage all 8th grade students to email their 8th grade counselors with questions.
○ Karin Shaughnessy will be sending emails out at the end of the week with specific dates and information.
Communication and Social Media
● Weekly communication/RLMS Curriculum Corner
● Google Classroom vs. Infinite Campus
● Follow RLMS on Twitter - @RLMSBulldogs
What happens on a snow day/early release/delayed opening?
● Early Dismissal Schedule with no lunch served (this is when we know ahead of time).
● Early Dismissal Schedule with lunch served (last minute call)
● If there is a delay on a Wednesday that is an early dismissal, school will go from 10:10am-2:50pm. We will not have an early dismissal on this type of day.
● Remote Learning Snow Day Schedule (to be determined by the Superintendent)
Clubs/Activities - What’s happening?
● Music specialty groups are either meeting virtually or by cohort.
● The basketball and cheerleading season has been cancelled. We will continue to monitor the health data to possibly include additional spring activities.
● Top Dog Program
● Pick Up/Drop Off
● Emergency Drills
● Every child should be using a chromebook cover. It's a middle school rule. The chromebooks are fragile even with the case, but the case does help. Replacement cases are available through the dean's office. A reminder that the cost to replace a broken chromebook is $200.00.
● Term 3 starts on Monday, February 1st.
● Staff Professional Development - February 11th
● Winter Break - February 12th-15th
Do not hesitate to contact a member of the Administrative team or your child's school counselor if you have any additional questions or concerns.